[Dev]AI-Continued

Hey everyone!

This week was kind of a crunch week for us since we had to do a LOT to create the gameplay we actually wanted.

The first thing I changed was the Day and Night controller. It’s now more accurate and also controls the light intensity. This way it can be really really dark at night 🙂

Second thing is this guy:

drone

I updated its software a bit and he is now capable of:

  • being stunned on ax hit
  • reacting to the player when he shoots
  • scanning the player
  • shooting the player
  • surviving bullets up to 4 hits
  • making annoying sound when he spots you

I also improved its lens and scope so he won’t lose track of the player if he is on higher ground (I reworked the way the drone sees the player, so it’s more accurate).

All these changes give us the gameplay we are aiming for. It’s going to be a mix of stealth and surviving to find your way throughout the forest.

That’s it for this week!

Cheers,

Vermeulen Igor

Advertisements

[Dev]Weapon switching , yey!

The last two weeks i started looking into the ability of having multiple weapons and switching between them. I rewrote most of my basic weapon code and replaced it into a base weapon which just contains a bunch of empty functions and the necessary variables for the weapons. Every weapon inherits from base weapon ofcourse.

I also started work on a melee weapon , for this i just added a simple collider in front of the player character , upon “firing” your melee weapon actors inside this will get checked and dealt damage to accordingly.

Sprinting has also been fixed.

[DEV] Character tweaking and prototyping

This week I updated the character , I wrote all the necessary base  code for allowing weapon reload functionality , sprinting  and health.  All the necessary code is now there.

With our latest prototype test we already started tweaking the movement values and have got them about right.

As a help i started writing down my current bugs in a small file so I can get around fixing them when needed.

[Dev] Prototyping

Hey!

This week we had to try out some quick AI behaviour, so we made a prototype were we could take control of a drone. This way we could set restrictions on the movement and behaviour our final ai should be.

We came to the conclusion that we wanted 2 types of drones. One that moves randomly around and one that follows a set path. After the drone sees a player he has to wait 1 or 2 seconds before chasing the player. This wait time is a “scan” to identify the player. It gives the player more breathing room to stay hidden.

After the player is found the drone will get more movespeed and will go to +-5m from the player and ten attack with a zap attack.

If the player goes out of the line of sight, the drone will move to the last known position and return to his normal beaviour after 2 seconds (if the player is lost).

Drones can float to a minimum of 1m above the ground to maximum tree height.

The player can shoot the drone, the first shot will stun the drone (circuit malfunction) for 1 or 2 seconds. the second shot will kill the drone.

 

This was our test for this week and what we’ve learned from it 🙂

Cheers!

Vermeulen Igor

[Dev] Unreal engine 4 and repositories, do’s and dont’s

We decided on using Unreal engine 4 because it would suit our game a lot more then Unity. However , we didn’t have any experience with using mercurial repositories and UE4 yet , so we went in blind.

Needless to say , after 1-2 weeks it felt like crashing into a brick wall.We hadn’t been paying attention to our bucket size , and suddenly it had grown to over 2gig , which is a problem , as bitbucket doesn’t allow repositories bigger then 2gig.

When i noticed that my pushes didn’t want to go through anymore , i decided to investigate and i came to the conclusion pretty fast that this wouldn’t be as easy a fix as you would think it to be. You can’t simply delete files and fix your repository in a further push , as you can not push anymore changes , the only option is to go “backwards” in time and fix your repository in an earlier not-yet-broken commit.

I managed to get our current push to around 50mb in size. However , bitbucket still does not allow this push to go through as we have exceeded 2gb , I fear we will have to start anew with a fresh repository , as i do not know how to revert these pushes.